Welcome

Hi, my name is Shelly, and welcome to my online art gallery - I am a mixed media artist who enjoys having in her hands in quite of few things all at once! I try to post all my little projects here and sometimes I share other fabulous ideas from my favorite artists. My favorite products are from Graphic 45, Retro Cafe Art Gallery, Gecko Galz, Flying Unicorn and Two Ten Studios (links provided on the right.





Thank you for stopping by, and comments are always appreciated
.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Decorating on a Dime!

I often use my crafty skills to make little home decor items, and this week I focused on my bedroom which is full of primitive stars. I needed a practical and inexpensive way to display my jewelry, so I went to work!

This little box I made to store my earrings in. It's a simple Kraft box I picked up at Michael's for only a dollar! I painted it black/metallic so it has some shimmer to it, then used Modge Podge to adhere some of my favorite papers to it. The top has a little primitive star I had found at a Thrift sale, and the sides are decorated with Pearl stick ons by Reflections. Total Cost: about $3.00! Plus it was fun to make something that no one else has of course....




With the earrings taken care of, I wanted to create something to display my jewelry so that I could find things easier. I had seen these made with fabric and ribbon, however I have so many beautiful pads of paper and wanted to figure out a way to use my favorites on this project.
I bought a black piece of foam board at Walmart for .59, and cut a 6x6 piece for the bracelets, and an 8x8" piece for my necklaces. I covered the foam pieces with paper and craft glue, then used some of Tim Holz's tissue tape to hide some rough edges. To hang the jewelry, I took clear thumb tacks, cut about half the ends off, then glued them onto the foam board. Once that was done, I used my Crop-o-dile to put eyelets in and ran ribbon through the two pieces, securing in spots with glue. I tied a bow at the top, and TA DA! It works perfectly for me since I don't own or wear alot of jewelry, but you could make this project much larger if needed. So total cost on this was only the .59 cents because I had the other materials on hand!






This next project was quite simple; I got the wooden planter box for free at a yard sale; it was coming apart a bit, but some wood glue fixed that problem. The primitive star I found at Michael's for $1.00, and my lovely boyfriend drilled holes and affixed the star to the box for me. I then went to the Dollar Store, bought two bags of potpourri and filled the box! Total cost was also $3.00, and it compliments my room PLUS makes it smell like apple cinnamon!





So as you can see, if you get creative enough, you can make fun and practical home decor items for pennies on the dollar! Check those free boxes you see at Thrift Sales! Look for Dollar bins at your local craft stores! And of course, search the net for fun blogs and videos to show you great ideas to give you inspiration.....

xxoo Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment